Thursday, May 1, 2014

APRIL 23 - APRIL 28 SEMANA 1 EN EL CAMPO MISIONAL, CONCEPCION, CHILE

¡Hola, mis papas, toda mi familia, y todos mis amigos!

¡ESTOY EN CHILE! 

I've made it to el campo misional! Man, what a week it has been! First, THANK YOU ALL FOR THE BIRTHDAY WISHES! I love hearing from my family and friends, and I'm so grateful for the awesome words this week. Thank you, first and foremost. :) 

Ok, ok, so I made it to Chile!! Oh man, what a story that is, though. After an AWESOME flight and dinner and breakfast on LAN Airlines, we arrived in Santiago close to 7:00AM and went through customs. One of my companions, Elder Archibald from Alberta, Canada, brought an apple from Mexico and forgot to declare it, and got CAUGHT. Hahaha my poor companion got stopped by the authorities and we had to wait for OVER 30 minutes so he could explain his intention with an apple. Long, long story short, including an encounter with his brother who is serving in Chile also, we MISSED OUR FLIGHT TO CONCEPCION. We had just arrived in our new country and we were stuck! haha oh man, what an experience. Fortunately, Elder Kemner, Elder Archibald, and I were able to hop on a flight an hour later and contact our president that we'd be arriving a tad late. ALL WAS WELL. We arrived in Concepcion an hour later and were welcomed by a whole welcoming party from our mission. It was so awesome, and pretty soon we made it to the mission office and in a little bit more time were assigned our companions and sent out to work!!

My companion is Elder Withers, from Boise, Idaho, and he's a great guy! He's my trainer and senior companion, and he's been here for about 10 months. He knows his Spanish, and I can't wait to pick it up like he has! It gives me more and more hope! I love the language here. It's so weird being truly surrounded by people that speak a completely foreign language to me, but I've been able to use everything that I know and learn more and more every day. It's a really fun challenge, and I'll pick it up with time.

Ok, so this week SUPER SUPER FAST. WOW, so much happens in a week here! We've eaten at members houses every lunchtime, had a correlation meeting, had a mission conference, contacted over a hundred random people in the streets, gone out with members to knock doors, and more.

SATURDAY was awesome, and such a great birthday! It ended at la familia Muñoz, and we had completos and torta (CAKE)! It was a really special night, and it included a tortazo (abrazo (hug) plus torta (cake) = cake in the FACE)! It was a great day and night, and I'm very grateful for all of the love that the people here have shown me, even this week.

I know I'm really going to come to love the people here (I already have!), and I'm going to have so many opportunities and experiences to share. Most importantly, I am going to be able to share the most important thing in my life with the people here. It has blessed my family, and I want to share the same blessings with the families in Chile. 

I know it's true. It's important that I say that, because I know it. It's the reason I am here and the reason I am so happy. My life has been blessed so greatly because of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and I am so grateful, so truly grateful, for all that I've come to know and to feel because of it. 

I love you my family, and of course all of my friends, too. It's hard being apart, but I know Heavenly Father will watch over both of us for this time that I'm here.

I love you all. Have a great week and see ya when I see ya. :)

Con mucho amor, 
Elder Trent Sellers

No comments:

Post a Comment